The NPM Secretariat coordinates the NPM, with the purpose of:
- promoting cohesion and a shared understanding of OPCAT among NPM members;
- encouraging collaboration and the sharing of information and good practice between UK NPM members;
- facilitating joint activities between members on issues of common concern;
- liaising with the SPT, other NPMs and other relevant international human rights bodies;
- sharing experience and expertise between the UK NPM and NPMs in other States;
- representing the NPM as a whole to government and other stakeholders in the UK;
- preparing the annual report and other publications.